Happy Father’s Day, Pops!
Thank you for….
- Attempting to style my reckless hair every morning on both of our cross country road trips and listening to the “Silly Songs” tape on repeat for 3,000 miles each way
- Not turning to cannibalism and eating me when we got stranded in a blizzard on the Donner Pass –named after a group of emigrants who got stuck on that mountain in a blizzard in the 1800’s and started eating each other to stay alive
- Working so hard to make sure your family is provided for
- Calling me every week to say hello and catch up
- Letting me make mistakes; making sure I knew how much you still loved me and forgave me after I realized how stupid I was
- Coining my nickname “cookie monster”
- Letting us get a puppy (Chester) when we wanted one 13 years ago even though you really didn’t want one at the time
- Letting us get ducks on Easter one year
- Making up the results of my science fair project when I stopped tracking my data halfway through the experiment and didn’t mention it to anyone until it was almost due
- Sitting with me for hours, literally hours, to try and explain my math homework to me
- Taking my sisters and I to the movie theater and saying “get anything you want!” at the concession stand
- Making me compulsive about filing important documents and keeping phone conversation logs when speaking to customer service departments
- Teaching me how to jump a car and change a flat. Could I do it tomorrow if either situation presented itself? No. But you DID teach me at one point!
- Rubbing my back to put me to sleep, still!
- Teaching my sisters and I the value of hard work and instilling a strong work ethic in each of us
- Giving my high school boyfriends the SARS talk, and not killing the ones that I’m sure you hated
- Allowing our relationship to evolve as I became an adult
- Asking me for advice, and actually using it
- Your cheesy jokes and Absent Minded Professor qualities. I know where I get it from
- Coaching my middle school softball team, there is no way you had time for that but never missed a game
- Making me wear a fanny pack and tights when playing soccer as a kid. Wait no, I’m not thankful for that– how could you!?
- Your faith. Your love for God amazes me and makes me want to be a better person
- Doing my FAFSA and taxes for so many years in a row. I can finally do them on my own now 😀
- Encouraging me to see a therapist when I was struggling
- Letting me vent to you and never making me feel judged or silly
- Teaching me the importance of mint chocolate chip ice cream and white chocolate mousse
- Teaching me all the words to your songs from Navy boot camp
- Being the kind of dad that drives 20 minutes in traffic to go buy nail polish and food for his daughters while they are getting ready for a wedding in Los Angeles
- proofreading hundreds of essays and research papers for me
- Always keeping your promises
- Allowing me to understand the true meaning of the world unconditional
Most of all, thank you for being the father that every child dreams of having! I don’t know what I did to deserve you but you have enriched my life beyond belief. I love you!
Philippians 1:3- I thank my God every time I remember you