My friend, Bridget, has created a slow-cooker chili recipe that has finally ended my quest for the best chili recipe. I will NEVER make another chili. It’s a little bit sweet, and 100% delicious. If you want to make it less sweet, just cut the brown sugar in half. Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 onion (yellow or white)
- 1 can light red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can dark red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne (red pepper)
- 3-4 tablespoons of your favorite BBQ sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- *Either 1 can of diced tomatoes with juices OR 1 beer
- *To add a little more spice, add a jalapeno pepper
- Throw everything into the slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours. Turn slow cooker to low and cook for another 2-3 hours
- It is fine to eat the chili after the 3-4 hour cooking period but if you let it cook for the full 5-7 hour time period then all of the flavors come together nicely.
- Serve with your choice of shredded cheese, avocado, tortilla chips, sour cream, and a cold beer!